3 May 2017The Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Okayama Award 2017 has opened a call for nominations. Two projects will become winners and receive a prize of USD 3,000 per each recipient. The Award is organized by Okayama City and the ESD Okayama Award Steering Board. It aims to advance ESD practices and to support organizations carrying out ESD activities.
Being UNESCO’s partner of the Global Action Programme (GAP) on ESD in Priority Action Area 5 (accelerating sustainable solutions at the local level), Okayama City, Japan, has launched the “ESD Okayama Award” in 2015 to promote ESD in local communities around the world.
Organizations based worldwide that implement ESD activities in local communities are eligible to apply for the award.
-only one application per organization can be accepted;
-projects received Okayama Award in the past are not eligible;
-the project should have already been running for at least two years by April 2017.
The selection of the projects is based on 6 main criteria:
- Vision: project addresses local issues and its objectives are clearly stated; Collaboration: project has a clear implementation structure with various collaborating stakeholders (individuals and organizations);
- Integration: project integrates environmental, social, and economic dimensions of ESD;
- Empowerment: project takes educational and interactive approaches for solving problems and promotes building a sustainable future. Project also leads to personal behavior change, including the transformation of values, attitudes and actions, and to the empowerment of local communities;
- Future Strategy: project is expandable and it brings positive impact on other communities;
- Innovation: project demonstrates an innovative approach to ESD.
a) Complete the “ESD Okayama Award 2017 Application Form” in either English or Japanese. The form can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.city.okayama.jp/contents/000293386.docx .
b) Upload the movie or slideshow of your project:
Please prepare a movie or slideshow of the project and upload it on YouTube or Vimeo:
-please note that a movie or slideshow should be 5 minutes or less;
-upload the data on YouTube or Vimeo, and write the URL on the column of the application form. Please do NOT send the data by e-mail;
-the movie or slideshow of the nominated project will be used for the online voting.
c) Include supporting documents (optional):
You can attach relevant supporting documents (maximum 5 pages in A4 format) to the application form. Documents exceeding 5 pages will not be accepted or considered.
- The application deadline: 30 June 2017 at 17:00 (Japan Standard Time);
- First round of selection by the Secretariat: middle of August;
- Announcing winners: beginning of September;
- Award Ceremony: October 21, 2017. For more information, please go to the following link: http://www.city.okayama.jp/esd/esd_00221.html
ESD Okayama Award Secretariat
ESD Promotion Division
Phone: +81-(0) 86-803-1351
Fax: +81-(0) 86-803-1777